French Customs



• Copy of the Passport
• Copy of the Visa, Residence and Work Permit (requirement may vary according to nationality)
• Certificate of Change of Residence obtained from the French Consulate with Customer’s signature indicating dates of stay abroad
• Attestation de non-cession (signed original stating Customer has lived abroad for at least one year, has owned all items for more than six months, and that goods will not be sold for twelve months)
• Proof of residence in France (Certificate of Residence, lease contract or utility bills)
• Letter of professional transfer from employer indicating date of employment abroad
• Valued inventory in French and Euros, dated and signed by Customer


• Used household goods duty-free if owned abroad for six months, if the owner is moving his principal residence to France, and the items arrive within one year from the arrival date reflected on the Change of Residence certificate
• Regulations are different if the Customer is establishing a secondary residence (*)
• If SECOND shipment anticipated, it must be stated at the time of the first importation

• Inheritance:
– Declaration from notary with inventory of goods, date of death, relationship & French Resident
– The goods must be shipped within one year from date of death

• Wedding presents:
– Marriage Certificate and French Resident Permit
– Goods must be shipped within one month of wedding

• Students
– Official attestation of attendance at school or university. The scholar’s goods must be shipped within one month from date of registration at school or university.


• Alcohol must be inventoried separately with brand name, type, amount, number of bottles, and value (Import License or Liquor License may be required)
• Tobacco products are allowed, but subject to duty or tax
• New items (less than six months old) are subject to tax if arriving from EEC countries or tax and duties if coming from other countries and must be documented with sales invoices
• Works of Art, oil paintings, sculptures, antiques, etc. should have Certificate of Authenticity


• Paints, polishes, and cleaning solvents
• Drugs and narcotics
• Live plants
• Ivory, all animal skins
• Pornographic material
• Explosives & matches
• Guns, weapons and ammunition are highly regulated, and require various registrations and certificates and have the authorization from

   the French Defense Ministry (provide make, caliber, serial number and purpose)
– Some weapons strictly prohibited
– Do not ship with household goods


• Expatriates who intend to remain in France for a period of time may import one auto duty-free as personal effects
• Foreigners may import an auto duty-free provided the owner has been living abroad for more than one year, the car has been owned for six months prior to import, and the car is correctly registered as a commercial car
• Auto must not be disposed of within two years of entry into France
• MUST BE LISTED ON INVENTORY (giving year, make, model, chassis engine, horse power and registration numbers)
• Certain makes are not permitted
• Vehicle must pass inspection for compliance with French standards and must be road-worthy

• Documents required:
– Purchase Invoice (original)
– Original title showing owner’s name and vehicle serial number (original)
– Insurance Certificate from French insurer
– Registration Card (original)
– Plate numbers


• Must be at least three months old
• Subject to quarantine
• Endangered species and exotic animals prohibited
• Pets should be accompanied by their owner with vaccination card and certificate of good health

NOTE – Customs regulations of France are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to France (this destination) and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, ERS cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double checks with your local embassy or consulate before you make your move to France.